This post may contain affiliate links. Please refer to my Disclosure for more information.
She Sold Everything She Owned Including Her House, to Travel the World & Now She Lives Somewhere New Every 90 Days
Kashlee Kucheran is a realtor turned digital nomad who works from her laptop and now travels the world with her husband!
1) Share about your journey to entrepreneurship
Being born into a family where everyone was an entrepreneur, I knew it would one day become my fate! In my mid to late 20’s I was a Realtor, which is halfway between self-employment and the 9-5, but I was miserable. I loved the money, but I hated how many hours I needed to put in and how I was tied to one location to make the majority of my income. If I went on vacation the income stopped and I didn’t like the kind of control it had over my life.
I quit real estate cold turkey and started from scratch, which was terrifying but I was too determined to let that discourage me. I did a lot of self-reflection and personal development to figure out what my skills were, what my dream career looked like, what I was truly passionate about and how that could all come together to support a nomadic lifestyle.
2) Tell us more about what you do for work and how you are living your life
Fast forward to a few years of trial and error, leaps forward and steps backward, I am finally living my dream career.
I get to travel the world full time with my husband, all while writing, creating, influencing and mentoring. I blog about my travels, write for lifestyle sites and publications, create content for brands and mentor people who need some clarity in their own business.
Every month or so we choose a new country to live in, making sure to set out enough time to get our work done AND explore the culture. (Which is the hardest thing in the whole world to balance!) I love being able to inspire and motivate others to take back control of their lives and start scratching things off their bucket list!
3) What were the hardest parts of selling all of your things and traveling the world?
Literally breaking up with all my things! I never realized how much crap I had accumulated over the years and how much my mind tricked me into believing that I needed it all. At first my mind was trying to fight back and say “no, you paid so much for this!” or “what if you really need it! Keep it just in case!”, but that was just the addiction talking. After I got over the mental and emotional addiction to ‘needing’ things, it was actually quite easy and fun to sell everything! I have always loved traveling and my husband Trevor and I were already gone 6 months of the year, so that transition was pretty easy.
4) What is the most rewarding part of what you do?
It sounds cliché, but my heart is instantly filled when I am able to make an impact on someone’s life. Nothing feels as rewarding as getting a message from someone who has just overcome something because of my help!
Being able to travel the world is amazing, but giving people advice and inspiration through my adventure is what really fuels me.
Click here to download my Realistic Budget template!
5) What are your best tips for women who want to work from their laptops and travel the world?
My best advice for anyone wanting to work from their laptop and travel the world is: DO IT! There has never been a better time with so many resources that allow this kind of digital nomad lifestyle! However, there are some things to consider before jumping head first:
- Make sure you have a safety net. Before I dove into full-time travel I erased all debt and created savings account with enough money to support me for 6 months. Working on a business is hard enough without worrying about how to afford food or shelter.
- FOCUS. One thing that has slowed down my progress in the past was being distracted by every shiny new idea that came my way. I wished I had nailed down my niche and focused solely on that a lot earlier.
- Don’t let anyone (including family) discourage you! I get messages from women all the time telling me they are afraid to pursue their dreams because their parents/boyfriend/aunt/neighbor thinks it’s irresponsible. I say that their lack of support is irresponsible! You have to chase your dreams regardless of what anyone says.
6) If you have multiple streams of income, would you share with us where your income sources come from?
I am such a firm believer in multiple streams of income. As an entrepreneur, it is the best way to safeguard my future and ensure I don’t go back to a 9-5 with my tail between my legs!
My income is made up of book sales, content creation and copywriting for brands and publications, affiliate marketing, consulting with small companies and mentoring individuals.
- Teacher to Full Time Online Health Coach & Double Franchise Owner
- From Teacher to Multiple Business Owner in Her Early 20’s
- How Samantha Left Her 9-5 Because of Her Successful Etsy Business
7) What are you most excited about in your business right now?
I am most excited about my book, ‘The High Maintenance Minimalist’ being published on Amazon. This has been one of my favorite projects to date and I love how much it’s helping people already. I knew I needed to write a book once my inbox was getting flooded daily with questions about my minimalist lifestyle and my decision to sell everything to travel. There were so many steps I had gone through from decluttering, to selling the house and everything in it, to traveling while building a business, I needed a guide of sorts that people could easily follow and apply to their own goals.
8) What piece of advice do you have for a woman who is just beginning in her businesses or up against obstacles right now and questioning if she is cut out for this?
Imagine the alternative! Whenever I hit a wall or felt completely overwhelmed by the entire entrepreneurial process I always imagine where I would be if I gave up and it always keeps me going! The pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of change, so keep pushing through those uncomfortable moments because your dreams are waiting for you there!
Click here to download my Realistic Budget template!
Do you want to work from your laptop and travel the world? I would love to hear! Comment below! What countries are on your bucket list to visit and live in?
I am very active on Instagram, follow me here for more financial tips & tricks: http://instagram.com/mandyythomas (@mandyythomas)
Do you want to learn how you can pay off your debt so you can start to live your life with more freedom? Click here for my free “4 Steps to Pay Off Your Credit Card Debt” E-book
- 10 Ways to Reduce Your Anxiety About Money
- 4 Things to Do to Get Your Debt Paid Off
- 7 Tips for Increasing Your Credit Score
- 11 Ways to Save Money on Groceries
- How to Plan Your Finances For an Entire Year (in under a couple of hours)
- My Top 6 Money Mistakes I’ve Made, That You Can Learn From & Avoid
- Why You Haven’t Been Able to Get Your Credit Cards Paid Off & How to Change it so You Can
- Using Your Credit Cards This Way Is Harming Your Credit Score (and costing you thousands more in interest)
- How I Saved Thousands of Dollars so I Could Leave My SIX Figure Career
- How I Made Over $9000 Just by Selling Things I Already Had in My House
- 9 Things You Are Spending Way More Money on Than You Think
- 3 Real Reasons You Are Overspending & How to Overcome It
- Top 8 Best Books for Overcoming a Financially Scarce Mindset for Women
- Why You Need a Blog & Start One
- How I Lost 10lbs from Working on My Money Mindset
- 4 Things You Need in Your Health & Wellness Business to Save You Time, Energy & Money
- How to Make Saving Automatic & Easy